Thursday 7 January 2010

Jookabox Junk


Eclectic beat maker from Indianapolis who fuses rhythms, which inspire and mystify.

The artist formerly known as Grampall Jookabox (now just plain Jookabox) aka David ‘Moose’ Adamson originally mashed up his beats on a Yamaha DD-9, apparently that was a long time ago. Currently his songs muse over the joys of not having a pregnant girlfriend and retain a rather addictive air of the boy from school who succeeded in making everything seem easy, when in fact it wasn’t.

Dazed Digital: Do you look across the pond for inspiration, any English bands you are excited by? Jookabox: Yes, Trash Kit from London.

DD: You cite Beastie Boys as an influence, your work has a similar eclectic quality in that it pulls from many references, have you always taken this approach? Jookabox: I think I have always taken this approach, but when I first started it probably didn't make any sense/sounded awful. Over time you find ways to have it make more sense together.

DD: What is the scene like in Indianapolis? Jookabox: I feel proud of the music scene here. Right now there are a ton of shows going on and everyone seems really excited about something - new bands that I haven't heard yet. A lot of house/basement venues have popped up with a good mix music being made, everyone is willing to work together regardless. It is going to be a good summer in Indy. People here will say, "Man, do you remember summer '09?"

DD: If you were not making music, what would you be doing right now? Jookabox: I would be working one of countless random jobs I did until I became fed up and quit so I could do nothing for a week and then try to find another one.

You can read the rest of the article here