Sunday 26 April 2009

Camden Crawl Round Up - Day Two

Day two was set to be busy - three interviews and several artists to catch performing. My day started quite breezily as I sat on the rear patio of a rather cute and overpriced teashop in Highgate with Marina & the Diamonds (for those of you who don’t know that’s just Marina). We drank fresh mint tea, hers had bugs in it, she sent it back, quite rightly so. We discussed many things and she answered well, almost too well, this girl knows how to play it. The interview went smoothly (I’ll update you here when it goes live). Next was a quick dash to collect the day’s wristbands, amazingly – no queue! My next interview was The Joy Formidable a three-piece band with the guitars/vocals from North Wales and the Drummer from Wolverhampton. They were established musicians and it really showed – super chilled, ended up speaking to them longer than necessary as we just kept on chatting. Once I’d finished backstage of the Electric I dashed to The Roundhouse and bizarrely Nigel Kennedy ended up speaking to me… weird didn’t even clock it was him. We caught the end of Radio 6 live broadcast with spoken word and Jo Willey as we sipped Earl Grey before dashing off to see Little Boots. Who incidentally was rubbish, we lasted two songs and escaped to the sun terrace glass of Cider and nachos with extra jalapeños in hand. The Maccabees performance served to highlight the immaturity of many of the other acts, solid and natural on stage the time passed quickly before I had to dash off to interview Count & Sinden – who kept me waiting, which was annoying I could of caught the whole gig and still been on time. The interview was eventually recorded in two parts, the juice ran out on my rather dated ipod talk (super old version), Graeme (aka Sinden) kindly lent me use of his ipod phone with built in italk to record the rest. Josh (aka Herve/The Count) was a little tricksy he knows what he wants and I struck a chord with a question that launched him into a rather long rant, I had to reign him in which was draining. You realise being nice to people requires energy and patience. The late finish meant I was behind schedule and completely missed the one band I wanted to catch The Joy Formidable, off to the Jazz Café to witness a rather amusing trio, white beats maker from Dalston Xrabit and Texan rap duo DMG$ thoroughly entertaining they grabbed a girl from the audience and got her to ‘shake her booty’ on stage. After flying visits to the Barfly for Ipso Facto then Toddla T at Cuban Bar we headed back East to our homeland. Cycled down to Stoke Newington International Airport and then popped to a House party arrived home as the dawn chorus was in full swing and collapsed into bed, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

No comments: