Sunday 17 May 2009

Sunday - Spike Jonze Day


I seem to be having a run of bad luck on the sickness front; I blame my sickly housemate spreading her flu-like germs around the house, wafting them around like a new perfume. Spending my day in a reclining position, trying to nurse myself back to moderate health, I had the pleasure of digesting the work of director Spike Jonze (pronounced Jones). The rather impressive bulk DVD (double sided) contained music videos, short films, documentaries, a showcase of all the clever shit achieved thus far (well up to 2003)! Quite possibly my favourite music video of all time is on there - Sky's the limit, The Notorious B.I.G. inspired by Bugsy Malone the stars are portrayed by rather convincing child actors. Other highlights include Fatlip documentary, torrence rises and the artist audio commentaries, which accompany each music video. I cannot wait for his version of Where the Wild Things Are, which is due out soon, one can only hope he has been sympathetic to it's audience and the illustrators vision.