Monday 2 May 2011

Dreams of Africa on a musical note...

My finances hardly ever work out how I envisage them, when I landed on wet Melbourne soil, way back in floodie January. I planned to sail into a bar job that would grant me access to lots of people, thus forming a creative network through which my energies could flow. In hindsight I advise anyone to avoid arriving in January, unless of course the plan is to bum around. It's the middle of the summer, height of the school holidays and bars are still fully staffed post Christmas. Add to that the working holiday visa disability, and a trail of hot, young travellers armed with cv's walking the same paths, the odds were inevitably out of favour. And so came February, I had successfully secured a home (out of the grasp of another it was later revealed) yet no work and a massively depleted bank account. By the time I started working six weeks from when I first arrived, in a job I didn't plan on doing, I was massively in debt. A debt which hopefully won't impede my ability to travel beyond Australia to South Africa and Nigeria during my time here. However such decadent adventures seem slightly unobtainable right now...

Poetically for extra pocket money I'm writing press releases and bio's for Tribe records, one of the more discerning afro house labels. When I watch the music videos for the releases particularly the one below, it makes me more resolute in my plans to visit, for the community is changing folks... makes me wonder what the ‘new’ Africa is really like... (watch this space!)


1 comment:

MelRock said...

Might have to come on that journey with ya!